Prez calls for urgent steps to improve `pathetic` sex ratio
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Saturday
described the low sex ratio in the country as "pathetic" and
called for urgent corrective steps in this regard.
"The 2011 provisional Census figures have just been
released. The picture shows that the female ratio of our
population remains low. It is 940 females per thousand males.
I think it is becoming a pathetic situation," Patil said at a
function organised by the Nanhi Chhan Foundation.
She said this imbalance is the result of social
"This imbalance in population is caused by social
prejudices that have led to condemnable practices of female
foeticide and female infanticide, which in my opinion and, I
do not think that anyone can dispute it, needs urgent
corrective steps," she said.
The President also stressed the need for a new social
movement for gender equality that will change society`s
attitude towards women and promote an understanding, that
women and men have a complementary and supplementary role to
play in building a happy home, a peaceful society and a
"The mindset that a girl is a burden arises from social
evils like the dowry system. Dowry is killing the girl child
and the sentiments of love and affection. It also exposes the
family of the girl to a sense of subordination, and indeed, a
feeling of being beholden to the boy`s family," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing