Prez calls for urgent steps to improve `pathetic` sex ratio
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Saturday
described the low sex ratio in the country as "pathetic" and
called for urgent corrective steps in this regard.
"The 2011 provisional Census figures have just been
released. The picture shows that the female ratio of our
population remains low. It is 940 females per thousand males.
I think it is becoming a pathetic situation," Patil said at a
function organised by the Nanhi Chhan Foundation.
She said this imbalance is the result of social
"This imbalance in population is caused by social
prejudices that have led to condemnable practices of female
foeticide and female infanticide, which in my opinion and, I
do not think that anyone can dispute it, needs urgent
corrective steps," she said.
The President also stressed the need for a new social
movement for gender equality that will change society`s
attitude towards women and promote an understanding, that
women and men have a complementary and supplementary role to
play in building a happy home, a peaceful society and a
"The mindset that a girl is a burden arises from social
evils like the dowry system. Dowry is killing the girl child
and the sentiments of love and affection. It also exposes the
family of the girl to a sense of subordination, and indeed, a
feeling of being beholden to the boy`s family," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- FC Pune City rope in ex-Chelsea, Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen
- International Weightlifting federation names 15 re-test doping failures
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday