Prez candidate: Prakash Karat meets Mulayam
New Delhi: CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Friday met Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and the two leaders are understood have discussed the pros and cons of probable candidates for the upcoming presidential election.
Yadav, who has been holding parleys with different parties on the issue, had yesterday met Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and both are believed to have decided to adopt a common approach on the crucial election.
Karat and Yadav met for about half-an-hour this morning at the latter`s residence, sources said. No details were available regarding their deliberations.
The meeting came ahead of discussions amongst the four Left parties. The newly-elected Politburo of the CPI(M) is also meeting on Sunday to take a decision on the matter.
Karat had said yesterday that the CPI(M) would hold consultations with other parties on the Presidential poll before taking any decision.
His party colleague Sitaram Yechury has said that the Presidential election should be held on the basis of a consensus. He has also said the initiative should be taken by Congress to evolve a consensus on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui