Prez candidate: Prakash Karat meets Mulayam
New Delhi: CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Friday met Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and the two leaders are understood have discussed the pros and cons of probable candidates for the upcoming presidential election.
Yadav, who has been holding parleys with different parties on the issue, had yesterday met Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and both are believed to have decided to adopt a common approach on the crucial election.
Karat and Yadav met for about half-an-hour this morning at the latter`s residence, sources said. No details were available regarding their deliberations.
The meeting came ahead of discussions amongst the four Left parties. The newly-elected Politburo of the CPI(M) is also meeting on Sunday to take a decision on the matter.
Karat had said yesterday that the CPI(M) would hold consultations with other parties on the Presidential poll before taking any decision.
His party colleague Sitaram Yechury has said that the Presidential election should be held on the basis of a consensus. He has also said the initiative should be taken by Congress to evolve a consensus on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni a step closer to main draw
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs