Prez candidate: Prakash Karat meets Mulayam
New Delhi: CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Friday met Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and the two leaders are understood have discussed the pros and cons of probable candidates for the upcoming presidential election.
Yadav, who has been holding parleys with different parties on the issue, had yesterday met Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and both are believed to have decided to adopt a common approach on the crucial election.
Karat and Yadav met for about half-an-hour this morning at the latter`s residence, sources said. No details were available regarding their deliberations.
The meeting came ahead of discussions amongst the four Left parties. The newly-elected Politburo of the CPI(M) is also meeting on Sunday to take a decision on the matter.
Karat had said yesterday that the CPI(M) would hold consultations with other parties on the Presidential poll before taking any decision.
His party colleague Sitaram Yechury has said that the Presidential election should be held on the basis of a consensus. He has also said the initiative should be taken by Congress to evolve a consensus on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi