Prez candidate should be acceptable to all: BJP
Ghaziabad: Former BJP president Rajnath Singh on Sunday said the Presidential candidate should not be disputable in any manner and favoured a person acceptable to the whole country.
"The candidate for the post of President of India should be above caste, religion and colour and he should not be disputable in any manner with no stigma of corruption, favouritism and political vendetta," said the BJP MP from Ghaziabad.
He was speaking to media at his residence here today.
When asked about his stand on the BJP`s preferred candidate former president APJ Abdul Kalam, Singh said, "It is a party level decision and personal liking for any candidate has no meaning."
On April 30, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had said, "If a name is supported by Mamata Banerjee and Sharad Pawar, we will support it. If Mulayam Singh Yadav takes Kalam`s name, then we can respond favourably."
Replying to a question about the recent comment of Swaraj that "Vice-President Hamid Ansari does not have the stature to become President", Singh said that personal opinions may be different from party opinion, and one should not take it a matter of prestige.
"Person for this post (President`s) should be acceptable to whole of the country and not only to government or Opposition," the senior BJP leader said.
The MP criticised the role of district police in handling the case of alleged disappearance of six girl from a government patronage house here over a period of one month, and said that he would raise the issue in the Parliament.
"Police was ineffective in this matter and I will raise the issue in the Parliament," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official