Prez candidate should be acceptable to all: BJP
Ghaziabad: Former BJP president Rajnath Singh on Sunday said the Presidential candidate should not be disputable in any manner and favoured a person acceptable to the whole country.
"The candidate for the post of President of India should be above caste, religion and colour and he should not be disputable in any manner with no stigma of corruption, favouritism and political vendetta," said the BJP MP from Ghaziabad.
He was speaking to media at his residence here today.
When asked about his stand on the BJP`s preferred candidate former president APJ Abdul Kalam, Singh said, "It is a party level decision and personal liking for any candidate has no meaning."
On April 30, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had said, "If a name is supported by Mamata Banerjee and Sharad Pawar, we will support it. If Mulayam Singh Yadav takes Kalam`s name, then we can respond favourably."
Replying to a question about the recent comment of Swaraj that "Vice-President Hamid Ansari does not have the stature to become President", Singh said that personal opinions may be different from party opinion, and one should not take it a matter of prestige.
"Person for this post (President`s) should be acceptable to whole of the country and not only to government or Opposition," the senior BJP leader said.
The MP criticised the role of district police in handling the case of alleged disappearance of six girl from a government patronage house here over a period of one month, and said that he would raise the issue in the Parliament.
"Police was ineffective in this matter and I will raise the issue in the Parliament," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note