Prez dissolves MCI; six-member panel to replace
New Delhi: Corruption-ridden Medical
Council of India (MCI), set up 76 years ago to regulate
medical education in the country, was on Saturday dissolved in the
wake of a recent scam and was replaced by a six-member panel
of eminent doctors, led by gastroenterologist S K Sarin.
An ordinance dissolving the scam-tainted MCI was
signed by President Pratibha Patil and notified by the Law
The six-member panel would be headed by Dr S K Sarin
and the members will include Drs Ranjit Roy Chowdhary, Sita
Naik, Gautam Sen, Devi Shetty and R L Salhan.
Dr Sarin is currently the Director Professor of
Gastroenterology at the G B Pant Hospital in the capital. He
is an AIIMS alumnus and has been in several other Government
The panel will be in charge till the next one year,
Health Secretary Sujatha Rao said.
The Government has said it would bring in a new law
for the formation of an overarching body to regulate medical
education in the country.
Rao has yesterday said a draft law for the formation
of such a body would be formulated within a month. She added
that the draft law would be a legislative response to the
credibility crisis which the MCI was in.
She said that another option was to bring in an
amendment to the MCI Act of 1956 to give Government some power
in the regulatory body.
MCI president Ketan Desai was arrested on April 22 by
CBI for allegedly accepting bribe of Rs two crore to give
permission to a Punjab medical college to recruit a fresh
batch of students without having requisite infrastructure.
The MCI was established in 1934 under the Indian
Medical Council Act, 1933, now repealed, with the main
function of establishing uniform standards of higher
qualifications in medicine and recognition of medical
institutions in India and abroad.
In 1956, the old Act was repealed and a new one was
enacted. This was further modified in 1964, 1993 and 2001.
The objectives of the Council include maintenance of
uniform standards of medical education, both undergraduate and
postgraduate and recommendation for recognition or
de-recognition of medical qualifications of institutions of
India or foreign countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015