Prez elated at son`s maiden Parliament speech
Shanti Niketan: It was a proud moment for President Pranab Mukherjee as a father when he watched his son make his maiden speech in Parliament on the Companies Bill.
The smile on his face was visible as his son Abhijit Mukherjee finished his speech in Lok Sabha which passed the Companies Bill, 2011 yesterday. "Well spoken. Forcefully put his point of view," the President was quoted by sources as saying in Bangla.
The President, who is here on a two-day visit, watched the entire proceedings of the House when Abhijit, who was working as General Manager in SAIL before being elected as MP from Jangipur seat, sought clarification on the definition of `net profit` along with formula for calculating for purpose of CSR.
The Lok Sabha approved the much-awaited amendments to the Companies Bill, 2011, making it mandatory for profit-making companies to spend on activities related to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY