Prez elated at son`s maiden Parliament speech
Shanti Niketan: It was a proud moment for President Pranab Mukherjee as a father when he watched his son make his maiden speech in Parliament on the Companies Bill.
The smile on his face was visible as his son Abhijit Mukherjee finished his speech in Lok Sabha which passed the Companies Bill, 2011 yesterday. "Well spoken. Forcefully put his point of view," the President was quoted by sources as saying in Bangla.
The President, who is here on a two-day visit, watched the entire proceedings of the House when Abhijit, who was working as General Manager in SAIL before being elected as MP from Jangipur seat, sought clarification on the definition of `net profit` along with formula for calculating for purpose of CSR.
The Lok Sabha approved the much-awaited amendments to the Companies Bill, 2011, making it mandatory for profit-making companies to spend on activities related to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users