Prez for amending rules for smooth functioning of Parliament
Lucknow: Against the backdrop of parliamentary proceedings being paralysed regularly, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday suggested that parliamentarians should explore possibilities of amending rules to ensure that both houses are able to transact routine business.
He also suggested that department related committees of Parliament undertake post approval scrutiny of budgetary allocations, made to the various ministries.
Addressing the Jagran forum here, he said, at times when certain members were highly agitated on certain issues, normal transaction of business on a daily basis as per rules appeared difficult.
Mukherjee said that he believed that the collective thinking of political establishment would be able to explore the possibility of amending rules.
He said that if it appears that rules do not reflect the situation which is prevailing currently, then they could be amended.
Noting that rules have been framed by parliamentarians only, he said they could be amended to provide an opportunity for orderly disposal of business.
He also said that Parliament should devote more time to discussing legislations especially those related to finance.
Quoting a suggestion made by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Mukherjee said that besides scrutinising budgetary proposals of various ministries before they are sent to house, the parliamentary panels should also go through proposals after they get parliamentary nod.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org