Prez for amending rules for smooth functioning of Parliament
Lucknow: Against the backdrop of parliamentary proceedings being paralysed regularly, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday suggested that parliamentarians should explore possibilities of amending rules to ensure that both houses are able to transact routine business.
He also suggested that department related committees of Parliament undertake post approval scrutiny of budgetary allocations, made to the various ministries.
Addressing the Jagran forum here, he said, at times when certain members were highly agitated on certain issues, normal transaction of business on a daily basis as per rules appeared difficult.
Mukherjee said that he believed that the collective thinking of political establishment would be able to explore the possibility of amending rules.
He said that if it appears that rules do not reflect the situation which is prevailing currently, then they could be amended.
Noting that rules have been framed by parliamentarians only, he said they could be amended to provide an opportunity for orderly disposal of business.
He also said that Parliament should devote more time to discussing legislations especially those related to finance.
Quoting a suggestion made by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Mukherjee said that besides scrutinising budgetary proposals of various ministries before they are sent to house, the parliamentary panels should also go through proposals after they get parliamentary nod.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan