Prez for amending rules for smooth functioning of Parliament
Lucknow: Against the backdrop of parliamentary proceedings being paralysed regularly, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday suggested that parliamentarians should explore possibilities of amending rules to ensure that both houses are able to transact routine business.
He also suggested that department related committees of Parliament undertake post approval scrutiny of budgetary allocations, made to the various ministries.
Addressing the Jagran forum here, he said, at times when certain members were highly agitated on certain issues, normal transaction of business on a daily basis as per rules appeared difficult.
Mukherjee said that he believed that the collective thinking of political establishment would be able to explore the possibility of amending rules.
He said that if it appears that rules do not reflect the situation which is prevailing currently, then they could be amended.
Noting that rules have been framed by parliamentarians only, he said they could be amended to provide an opportunity for orderly disposal of business.
He also said that Parliament should devote more time to discussing legislations especially those related to finance.
Quoting a suggestion made by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Mukherjee said that besides scrutinising budgetary proposals of various ministries before they are sent to house, the parliamentary panels should also go through proposals after they get parliamentary nod.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray