Prez in Seychelles for two-day visit
Victoria (Seychelles): President Pratibha Patil arrived here on Sunday to a warm welcome on the first leg of her two-nation visit to boost India`s friendly ties with the African country.
She was received at the Mahe airport by her Seychelles` counterpart, James Alix Michel, who welcomed her warmly.
Possibly on her last foreign visit as President of India before she retires on July 25, Patil will spend two days in this country before heading to South Africa for a week-long visit.
This will be the second presidential visit to Seychelles, the strategically located island in Indian Ocean, after that of President R Venkataraman way back in 1989.
In Seychelles, Patil will have a meeting with Michel during which various aspects of bilateral relations and regional and international issues are expected to be discussed.
A highlight of the Seychelles visit is that the President will address the Special Session of the National Assembly.
Patil`s visit to South Africa is another indication of New Delhi`s growing ties with Pretoria.
A business delegation is also accompanying Patil that will address the India-South Africa Business Forum meet.
Trade between India and South Africa was pegged at over USD 11 billion in 2010-11, of which imports were more than seven billion and exports around four billion.
The trade turnover target has been revised to USD 15 billion by 2014.
The members of the delegation accompanying the President are Union Minister Sachin Pilot and MPs Prabha Thakur and Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed