Prez Patil asks countries to take steps to eliminate terrorism
Dushanbe: India on Monday asked countries in
the region to take "urgent, proactive measures" to cooperate
and eliminate terrorism in all its forms and manifestations to
ensure that these forces do not derail the processes of
progress and prosperity.
President Pratibha Patil, who is in Tajikistan on a
three-day state visit, conveyed India`s concerns about
terrorist threats during talks with her Tajik counterpart
Emomali Rahmon, which also covered a wide-ranging cooperation
in the field of education, culture, investment and enhanced
She also sought the Central Asian nation`s support in
eliminating terrorism from the region.
"Our region is today beset by the menace of terrorism.
Terrorism, extremism and fundamentalism are posing a serious
threat to the peace and secuity in our region, be it India,
Afghanistan, or Tajikistan," Patil said.
Observing that the 26/11 attacks were one more
manifestation of terrorism in the region, she said it was
imperative that all governments of the region take "urgent,
proactive measures to cooperate and eliminate terrorism in all
its forms and manifestations, so that these forces do not
derail the processes of progress and prosperity".
"We value the support of Tajikistan in the fight
against terrorism," she said in a statement.
India and Tajikistan are together in the fight against
the Taliban in Afghanistan, and New Delhi believes that
concerted efforts between the two nations against terrorism
and extremism would contribute greatly to peace and stability
in the region.
Patil, the first Indian President to visit the Central
Asian Region, said her talks with the Tajik leadership were
"extremely useful" and covered issues of bilateral, regional
and international importance.
She would be participating in the Independence Day
celebrations of Tajikistan, a rare honour given to a foreign
Describing that the Central Asian Region as "our
extended neighbourhood" and Dushanbe was geographically close
to Delhi, she said "the Central Asian Region figures very high
in our foreign policy priorities".
The President said New Delhi considered itself to be a
partner in Dushanbe`s quest for improving the skills and
qualifications of its people.
Noting that over the years, India provided training
and participation for candidates from Tajikistan in various
human resource development programmes in various fields, she
said "we propose to continue doing so".
Patil also invited the Tajik President to visit India
again soon to take forward many of the new ideas for bilateral
cooperation that they had discussed.
Patil also assured India`s support in the field of
information technology, entrepreneurial skills, defence
training, English language and management.
India`s ITEC (Indian Technical and Economic
Cooperation) programme offered short-term training programmes
in these and other fields to about 100 candidates from
Tajikistan and also undertook several small scale
developmental and human resource projects in the region.
Tajikistan is one of the largest beneficiaries of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'