Prez poll: BJP core group meets to discuss strategy
New Delhi: BJP Core Group met here today to discuss the strategy for ensuring that all party legislators in the states and in Parliament vote for P A Sangma in the Presidential poll and decided to use this opportunity to highlight failures of the UPA government.
Though Sangma is set to lose the presidential election as numbers are stacked highly in favour of UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee, BJP is looking at this poll as an occasion which can help the party win more allies and also hit out at the government on issues like price rise and corruption.
BJP strategy is to propogate that since Mukherjee was the Finance Minister, he is responsible for the economic crisis plaguing the country.
"The country is facing a very, very serious crisis under the Congress and UPA government because of its failed governance and rising prices and rampant corruption as well as scams after scams," BJP general secretary Ananth Kumar told reporters here after the Core Group meeting.
The party has convened a meeting of its central office-bearers here on July 2 to finetune this strategy and rally support for Sangma in the states.
"Pranab Mukherjee, the UPA candidate, has become a symbol of failed governance and corruption. Therefore, we want to defeat him. Sangma is our joint candidate with parties like BJD, AIADMK, SAD, AGP and we will help him win," Kumar said.
BJP will also coordinate with other parties supporting Sangma to take on the UPA government.
"The support base of Congress is shrinking as shown by the recent elections and by-polls. It has been using strong-arm tactics and misusing CBI to bend other parties and win their support," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016