Prez poll: BJP may move election petition against Pranab
Chandigarh: BJP on Wednesday threatened to file an election petition against UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee a day after it dubbed as "fabricated" his letter of resignation from the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
"All options are open...Election petition can be filed after declaration of result...We will cross the bridge after receiving the copy of the order on NDA`s plea against Mukherjee," Opposition nominee P A Sangma`s counsel Satya Pal Jain told reporters here.
Jain, who heads the party`s legal cell, accused the UPA of "lowering the dignity" of the post of President and said election petition was the only remedy once the result was declared.
After getting the copy of nomination papers of Mukherjee, the BJP Parliamentary Board will decide on the course of action against the UPA nominee, he said.
Jain claimed that at the time of filing nomination, Mukherjee was holding an office of profit as ISI Chairman.
Referring to the resignation letter written by Mukherjee to ISI President MGK Menon, he said, "It is not validly acceptable. Menon is not competent to accept the resignation as Mukherjee had been elected by Board of Directors of ISI."
Jain said that as per provisions of the Constitution, Mukherjee cannot contest the poll and his nomination should be nullified.
He said the UPA has made a "mockery" of election of President and added that the BJP will approach all MLAs and MPS in this regard.
He also demanded that the UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should clarify on signatures of Mukherjee in papers submitted to the Returning Officer and in the resignation letter to Menon.
The BJP had yesterday termed as "fabricated" Mukherjee`s letter of resignation from the ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report