Prez poll: Cong mouthpiece lauds Pranab’s nomination
New Delhi: At a time when Mamata Banerjee has created unease in Congress by not supporting its presidential candidate, the latest issue of Congress mouthpiece today recalled that Pranab Mukherjee has won respect even in the opposition.
"We wish to congratulate Sonia Gandhi on her wisdom as also the other political parties in the UPA to have selected such an able person for such an eminent position where he would do the country proud," an editorial piece in `Congress Sandesh` said.
The editorial noted that whenever Mukherjee was trusted with responsibility, he always came out with success. "This has won him respect within the Congress party and even in the parties which have been in the opposition. His views are heard attentively by all and respected".
The party also expressed confidence that Mukherjee would do justice to the position for which he has been selected by the UPA.
"Mukherjee has had a political career spanning five decades. In his strides, he has been making friends across the political spectrum," it said.
Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress is the lone constituent of the UPA which has not backed Mukherjee`s candidature despite repeated appeals from Congress.
The Congress leadership has been keeping Trinamool Congress in good humour and has also restrained its West Bengal unit which wanted to snap ties with the party in the state.
Congress` praise for Pranab came on the eve of his filing nomination for the July 19 elections in which he is set for a runaway victory and poised to become the next President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note