Prez poll: Cong mouthpiece lauds Pranab’s nomination
New Delhi: At a time when Mamata Banerjee has created unease in Congress by not supporting its presidential candidate, the latest issue of Congress mouthpiece today recalled that Pranab Mukherjee has won respect even in the opposition.
"We wish to congratulate Sonia Gandhi on her wisdom as also the other political parties in the UPA to have selected such an able person for such an eminent position where he would do the country proud," an editorial piece in `Congress Sandesh` said.
The editorial noted that whenever Mukherjee was trusted with responsibility, he always came out with success. "This has won him respect within the Congress party and even in the parties which have been in the opposition. His views are heard attentively by all and respected".
The party also expressed confidence that Mukherjee would do justice to the position for which he has been selected by the UPA.
"Mukherjee has had a political career spanning five decades. In his strides, he has been making friends across the political spectrum," it said.
Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress is the lone constituent of the UPA which has not backed Mukherjee`s candidature despite repeated appeals from Congress.
The Congress leadership has been keeping Trinamool Congress in good humour and has also restrained its West Bengal unit which wanted to snap ties with the party in the state.
Congress` praise for Pranab came on the eve of his filing nomination for the July 19 elections in which he is set for a runaway victory and poised to become the next President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!