Prez poll: JD(U) will not name any candidate
New Delhi: Ahead of the crucial NDA meeting, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav Friday made it clear that his party will not be proposing the name of any candidate for the Presidential poll and said it will go with the collective choice on the issue.
There had been indication from JD (U) earlier that the party finds "unusual" the proposal to advance the name of APJ Abdul Kalam for the poll.
A party leader, speaking on condition of anonymity, has said that it was very unusual that a retired president was being named as a candidate again.
Yadav today, however, remained non-committal on the issue of whether his party will back Kalam`s candidature after indications that BJP could throw its weight behind the former President whose name was proposed by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee in a dramatic turn of events within the UPA.
"We will take a decision after the NDA meeting...What is the point in unnecessarily coming out with names when a decision has not yet being taken. I cannot decide alone, there is already a collective decision within the NDA that we will take a view on whatever situation emerges," Yadav said.
Significantly, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had yesterday received Kalam on his arrival at Patna where he is scheduled to attend two functions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing