Prez poll: JD(U) will not name any candidate
New Delhi: Ahead of the crucial NDA meeting, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav Friday made it clear that his party will not be proposing the name of any candidate for the Presidential poll and said it will go with the collective choice on the issue.
There had been indication from JD (U) earlier that the party finds "unusual" the proposal to advance the name of APJ Abdul Kalam for the poll.
A party leader, speaking on condition of anonymity, has said that it was very unusual that a retired president was being named as a candidate again.
Yadav today, however, remained non-committal on the issue of whether his party will back Kalam`s candidature after indications that BJP could throw its weight behind the former President whose name was proposed by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee in a dramatic turn of events within the UPA.
"We will take a decision after the NDA meeting...What is the point in unnecessarily coming out with names when a decision has not yet being taken. I cannot decide alone, there is already a collective decision within the NDA that we will take a view on whatever situation emerges," Yadav said.
Significantly, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had yesterday received Kalam on his arrival at Patna where he is scheduled to attend two functions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands