Prez poll: Mulayam votes for Sangma by mistake
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Thursday cast his vote in favour of Opposition-backed candidate PA Sangma in place of UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee as voting began in Parliament House and state capitals for electing a new President.
As per reports, Mulayam Singh mistakenly ticked on PA Sangma`s name during voting. However, the SP chief quickly realized his mistake and tore the ballot paper.
Mulayam was then given a fresh ballot paper and then he voted in favour of UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee, who is tipped to win the presidential poll against his rival tribal leader and former Lok Sabha Speaker Sangma.
Meanwhile, defying the party whip, Kanu Kansadia, the BJP MLA from Gujarat and a close associate of Chief Minister Narendra Modi today voted in favour of Pranab Mukherjee shortly after the voting began in the state Assembly.
Brisk polling was witnessed in the early hours with M K Alagiri of DMK, Opposition BJD MP B Mahtab and Pratap Singh Bajwa of the Congress was among the early voters. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi cast their votes at 11 am.
As many as 4,120 MLAs and 776 MPs with a total vote value of 10.98 lakh votes are eligible to cast their ballot in the 14th Presidential election.
Members of the Rajya Sabha, the Lok Sabha and state legislative assemblies make up the electoral college for the Presidential election.
The run-up to the Presidential poll saw its twists and turns with key UPA ally Trinamool Congress first declaring its opposition to Mukherjee only to take "the painful decision" to back him.
Besides the UPA and its four supporting parties – SP, BSP, RJD, JD(S) – NDA members JD(U) and Shiv Sena as also the CPI(M) and Forward Bloc have declared their support for Mukherjee.
The CPI, RSP, TDP and TRS, which together have about 36,000 votes, are likely to abstain from voting.
There are around 32,000 votes with smaller parties who have no presence in Parliament but have legislators in the states.
Sangma, a former Lok Sabha Speaker, jumped into the fray playing the tribal card with initial support of the BJD and AIADMK. The BJP and Akali Dal decided to back Sangma, who quit the NCP, the party he founded with Sharad Pawar, to contest the election.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation