Prez poll: Sangma files nomination
New Delhi: Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma on Thursday filed his nomination papers for the office of the President of India, election for which will be held on July 19.
The tribal leader filed his nomination papers in the presence of BJP veteran LK Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, H Ananth Kumar, Rajnath Singh, Venkaiah Naidu, Vasundhara Raje, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Janta Party chief Subramaniyan Swamy and Thambidurai of AIADMK.
Among others who graced the occasion were Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Goa.
Ahead of filing the papers, Sangma said that it is a victory of tribal people of the country and the Congress will pay a price for having for opposed his candidature.
“My candidature was sponsored by the tribal forum of India, nominated by chief ministers of Orrissa and Tamil Nadu and backed by BJP and other NDA allies, I thank them for their support,” he said.
Taking on the Congress, Sangma said, “Tribal people of India have all along stood by the Indian National Congress, we expected that Congress will support (his candidature) but they did not support… they will know the effect of this action. Tribals in India are united and we will move together in future with a unity which was never seen in this country.”
“Today is the victory of tribals,” Sangma stressed.
Earlier in the day, UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee filed his nomination papers in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Mulayam Singh Yadav, Lalu Yadav and others.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in