Prez polls: Left to go by ‘consensus’
New Delhi: The Left leaders, who met on Wednesday to discuss their strategy over upcoming Presidential Election, have said that they will support a `consensus` candidate for the highest constitutional post.
The meeting was attended by all top Left Front leaders, who gathered here to deliberate on the names of all top contenders for the Rashtrapati Bhawan including the tribal leader and former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma.
During the meeting, the Left parties agreed to support a candidate enjoying the "maximum consensus" in the Presidential race and decided to wait till an agreement is reached on the same.
Today’s meeting was necessitated after PA Sangma made a fresh appeal to all political parties to support his candidature, saying that the tribals were never give their dues.
The NCP leader also reportedly met Communist Party of India (Marxists) (CPM) chief Prakash Karat yesterday.
Sangma has already secured support of AIADMK Chief J Jayalalithaa and Biju Janta Dal (BJD) Chief Naveen Patnaik, however his own party chief Sharad Pawar has shown reluctance in supporting him and even criticized him for self promoting for president poll.
Pawar had stated that NCP should wait for Congress’ move as it is the part of United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
He also said that NCP has not large number of MPs to support Sangma in the Parliament.
Sangma has reportedly apologised to Congress Party President Sonia Gandhi for opposing her candidature for Prime Minister`s post in 1999 because of her foreigner status.
On the other hand, Congress is still maintaining suspense over the name of its candidate as some of its tribal leaders have also opposed Sangma’s candidature.
Meanwhile, Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam, who met UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi yesterday, has indicated to support UPA candidate with a condition that the candidate must not be a bureaucrat nor a non-political person.
The term of President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil is about to end in this June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'