Prez polls: Pranab calls Jagan`s mother seeking support
New Delhi: Despite an uneasy relationship between Congress and YS Jaganmohan Reddy, Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee has reached out to the mother of the rebel leader seeking her party`s support in the election but no commitment has been given.
Mukherjee, the ruling UPA`s nominee, spoke to Vijayamma, mother of Jagan as well as honorary president of the fledgling YSR Congress, a few days back requesting that her party support him in the July 19 Presidential election.
"He (Pranab Mukherjee) spoke to me when I was in Vishakapatnam on a tour. He sought our party`s support for his Presidential bid. We did not give any commitment to him," Vijayamma told a news agency here today.
However, she said the YSR Congress has not taken any decision on whom to support in the Presidential election as the Opposition-backed candidate PA Sangma has also approached them.
YSR Congress has 17 MLAs in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly and 2 MPs in Lok Sabha.
"While Pranab called me, Sangma came home and met me. But we have not yet decided on our stand," she said.
When pressed whether the party would be more inclined to supporting Mukherjee as it would not want to side with BJP, which is backing Sangma, she said: "There is enough time to decide on this."
Congress and YSR Congress share an uneasy relationship after Jagan quit the Congress and floated his own outfit, which is eating into his former party`s vote bank.
YSR Congress swept the recent by-elections to 18 Assembly constituencies by bagging 15 seats and winning a Lok Sabha seat.
The YSR Congress aspires to rout the Congress and TDP in the 2014 Assembly elections and establish its government in Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi