Prez Pranab Mukherjee hosts first `At Home`
New Delhi: It was an `At Home` with a difference this time with President Pranab Mukherjee mixing with the crowd and receiving wishes outside the security barricade.
During his maiden `At Home` function, as soon as the National Anthem ended, Mukherjee met dignitaries and diplomatic corps in the sprawling Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhavan and walked past the barricade and mixed with non-VIPs, who greeted him.
He walked past the guests who were invited on the occasion of 66th Independence Day celebrations before settling in the VVIP enclosure where Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with his wife Gursharan Kaur, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Congress President Sonia Gandhi, were seated.
BJP leaders L K Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley and Ravi Shanker Prasad besides Lalu Prasad and D P Tripathi (NCP) were also present.
Immediately after, people started queuing up to meet the VVIPs in the enclosure and the entire exercise went off smoothly. R K Dhawan, who recently got married, was the first to greet the President.
Age seemed to be no barrier for 93-year-old Marshall of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh who was seen moving and shaking hands with the guests.
The three services chiefs -- General Bikram Singh, Air Chief N A K Browne and Admiral Nirmal Verma -- were seen mixing with the crowd as were Cabinet ministers A K Antony and Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
The security barricade which had increased during the tenure of Pratibha Patil was lesser this time leaving lot of space for people to be in the Mughal gardens.
As the National Anthem was played for the second time signaling end of the `At Home` function, Gandhi walked to talk to Vimla Sharma, wife of former President S D Sharma.
She spent some time with Sharma, who had come on a wheel chair to attend the function which saw a presence of nearly 1000 guests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray