Prez race: Left keeps options open
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of dramatic twists and turns in the Presidential race, Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D Raja on Thursday said that Left will announce its Presidential candidate after all the names are out in public domain.
On Manmohan Singh being named as a presidential candidate by Mamata Banerjee and Mulayam Singh Yadav, Raja said, “It is for the Congress and UPA-II to respond". He also went on saying that Mamata and Mulayam should explain why they took prime minister’s name.
When asked about whether the Left is open to have talks with Congress, the CPI leader said, “We are open to talk to anyone if they are willing to approach us. In the past we had talks with AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa when she approached us for seeking our support for PA Sangma.”
Meanwhile, in a clear snub to the UPA allies Trinamool Congress and the Samajawadi Party, Congress today ended speculation on Dr Manmohan Singh becoming the party’s Presidential candidate by saying that he will continue as Prime Minister till 2014.
Speaking to reporters, Congress spokesperson Jnardan Dwivedi said, “We have said this umpteen times and I am repeating it again that Dr Manmohan Singh will continue to serve the country as Prime Minister till 2014 general Election and there is no doubt about it.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray