Prez releases commemorative stamp on late Ramgopal Maheshwari
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday released a commemorative postage stamp on late Ramgopal Maheshwari.
The stamp was released on the occasion of his birth centenary year (November 20, 2011 to November 20, 2012) at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, an official release said.
Maheshwari was a freedom fighter, doyen of journalism, a committed social worker and a person who left no stone unturned for the cause of promotion of Hindi language.
"He started biweekly paper `Nava Bharat` from Nagpur. He successfully directed the publication of Nava Bharat as Chief Editor and was known as `Bhishma Pitamaha` of journalism in Central and Western India," it said.
Besides being involved in the freedom movement, Maheshwari also made great efforts to eradicate conservative customs from the Maheshwari Samaj and made it more progressive.
Among the dignitaries present on the occasion was Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Kruparani Killi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan