Prez releases commemorative stamp on late Ramgopal Maheshwari
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday released a commemorative postage stamp on late Ramgopal Maheshwari.
The stamp was released on the occasion of his birth centenary year (November 20, 2011 to November 20, 2012) at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, an official release said.
Maheshwari was a freedom fighter, doyen of journalism, a committed social worker and a person who left no stone unturned for the cause of promotion of Hindi language.
"He started biweekly paper `Nava Bharat` from Nagpur. He successfully directed the publication of Nava Bharat as Chief Editor and was known as `Bhishma Pitamaha` of journalism in Central and Western India," it said.
Besides being involved in the freedom movement, Maheshwari also made great efforts to eradicate conservative customs from the Maheshwari Samaj and made it more progressive.
Among the dignitaries present on the occasion was Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Kruparani Killi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway