Prez releases commemorative stamp on late Ramgopal Maheshwari
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday released a commemorative postage stamp on late Ramgopal Maheshwari.
The stamp was released on the occasion of his birth centenary year (November 20, 2011 to November 20, 2012) at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, an official release said.
Maheshwari was a freedom fighter, doyen of journalism, a committed social worker and a person who left no stone unturned for the cause of promotion of Hindi language.
"He started biweekly paper `Nava Bharat` from Nagpur. He successfully directed the publication of Nava Bharat as Chief Editor and was known as `Bhishma Pitamaha` of journalism in Central and Western India," it said.
Besides being involved in the freedom movement, Maheshwari also made great efforts to eradicate conservative customs from the Maheshwari Samaj and made it more progressive.
Among the dignitaries present on the occasion was Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Kruparani Killi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok