Prez seeks permanent berth for India in UNSC
New Delhi: Emphasising on reforms in global
bodies to deal with contemporary realities, President Pratibha Patil on Tuesday pressed for making India a permanent member of the
United Nations Security Council.
"India has all the credentials for its legitimate
aspiration to become a permanent member of the UN Security
Council," Patil said.
She underlined the need for taking up reforms in
international bodies, "so that they reflect contemporary
realities and become more credible and effective".
The President was speaking after receiving credentials
from eleven envoys from different countries including France,
Belarus and Hungary.
Welcoming the envoys, the President said that India is
working for greater growth to meet the aspirations of its
people and is committed to inclusive growth.
Announcing that the government will spend over USD one
trillion on building the country`s infrastructure to fulfill
the aspirations of the people, she said it is expanding social
infrastructure particularly in education, skill building and
health, as well as putting in place extensive physical
infrastructure over the next five years.
"India also seeks to enlarge economic engagement with
other countries for peace, progress and development," Patil
said adding that "a growing India will expand opportunities
for the global economy as well".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional