Prez should ask PM to hold early LS polls: Subramanian Swamy
New Delhi: Citing the sharp rise in prices of essential commodities and depreciation of rupee as failures of UPA government, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy on Tuesday urged the President to ask Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to hold early Lok Sabha elections.
"The Prime Minister has lost interest in building India and is enjoying the status of nominal PM and hence is mostly abroad to negotiate agreements of little consequence with foreign countries...I demand that the President call the PM immediately on his return from abroad and persuade him to hold early Lok Sabha elections," he said in a statement.
Early elections, he said, would help the country avoid any further erosion in the economic situation.
Swamy alleged that the rise in the price of onion and other essential commodities is a result of "mischievous, anti-national and corrupt short-selling activities in commodities and currency".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH