Prez should ask PM to hold early LS polls: Subramanian Swamy
New Delhi: Citing the sharp rise in prices of essential commodities and depreciation of rupee as failures of UPA government, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy on Tuesday urged the President to ask Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to hold early Lok Sabha elections.
"The Prime Minister has lost interest in building India and is enjoying the status of nominal PM and hence is mostly abroad to negotiate agreements of little consequence with foreign countries...I demand that the President call the PM immediately on his return from abroad and persuade him to hold early Lok Sabha elections," he said in a statement.
Early elections, he said, would help the country avoid any further erosion in the economic situation.
Swamy alleged that the rise in the price of onion and other essential commodities is a result of "mischievous, anti-national and corrupt short-selling activities in commodities and currency".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar