Prez stresses on revisiting traditional and moral values
Kolkata: With recent incidents of brutal sexual assaults on women and children clearly weighing heavily on his mind, President Pranab Mukherjee on on Sunday said there was a need to reset the "moral compass" of the nation.
Mukherjee was addressing a gathering at the Jadavpur University where he launched the Bichitra Tagore Online Variorum, a digital collection of the works of Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore in English and Bengali.
The website has been developed as part of the celebrations to commemorate the 150 birth anniversary of Tagore.
Mukherjee wondered where he would have been had he access to such facilities as a student.
"When I look I try to find where is our moral compass from the days of the dawn of civilisation we learn that mothers are to be respected by all," he said.
Observing that dignity of a woman inviolable, Mukherjee asked the audience, "can we raise our head high when we look around ourselves?"
"It is high time for us .... Let us have the high moral ground, and as Tagore said, `Let us reset our moral compass,`" Mukherjee said.
The course of civilisation has never been determined by any mighty emperor, by sword and gun, it has been determined by persons of ideas, vision, love, and compassion, he said.
"The course of contemporary history is not going to be determined by brown shirt of Hitler, black shirt of Mussolini and red shirt of Stalin, but by a man with no shirt -- Mahatma Gandhi," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi