Prez to give away awards to persons with disabilities
New Delhi: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil will give away National Awards for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities here on Thursday.
The award has been instituted in hope that achievements of the awardees would inspire and encourage others to dedicate themselves towards the cause of the empowerment of persons with disabilities and also to recognise those who have helped the persons with disabilities to lead a better life through their sincere and dedicated service.
The Government of India has been giving National Awards in the field of disability, every year, since 1969 to the outstanding individuals and institutions working for the welfare of persons with disabilities.
The awards are presented on the International Day of Disabled Persons on 3rd December. Since 2007, the award has been redesignated "National Awards for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities".
To keep pace with the changing need of the time, during the year 2009, the scheme of the National Awards has been partially revised to add a new category of Award namely, ``Best Braille Press``, in turn, increasing total number of category of Awards to 12 this year.
Thus, the number of total awards have gone up to 60 as a result. This award comprises Rs. 1,00,000/- in cash, a certificate and a citation.
During the year 2009, 49 awards have been approved, which includes one Award under the sub category Best Creative Child (Girl) to be co-shared. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Mahresult.nic.in MSBSHSE HSC Results 2016: Maharashtra Board HSC Class 12th XII Exam Result 2016 declared
- Is ‘Junooniyat’, ‘Sanam Re 2’? Yami Gautam will tell you
- IPL 2016: Sunil Gavaskar thinks de Villiers is 'AB-CDE' - Find out why!
- Batla House encounter: Subramanian Swamy calls for NIA probe against Digvijay Singh
- Maruti Alto 800 Facelift: How different is the new model?