Prez to give away awards to persons with disabilities
New Delhi: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil will give away National Awards for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities here on Thursday.
The award has been instituted in hope that achievements of the awardees would inspire and encourage others to dedicate themselves towards the cause of the empowerment of persons with disabilities and also to recognise those who have helped the persons with disabilities to lead a better life through their sincere and dedicated service.
The Government of India has been giving National Awards in the field of disability, every year, since 1969 to the outstanding individuals and institutions working for the welfare of persons with disabilities.
The awards are presented on the International Day of Disabled Persons on 3rd December. Since 2007, the award has been redesignated "National Awards for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities".
To keep pace with the changing need of the time, during the year 2009, the scheme of the National Awards has been partially revised to add a new category of Award namely, ``Best Braille Press``, in turn, increasing total number of category of Awards to 12 this year.
Thus, the number of total awards have gone up to 60 as a result. This award comprises Rs. 1,00,000/- in cash, a certificate and a citation.
During the year 2009, 49 awards have been approved, which includes one Award under the sub category Best Creative Child (Girl) to be co-shared. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today