Prez, V-P, PM greet people on Makar Sankranti, Pongal
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil, Vice
President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday
greeted the people on the occasion of Makar Sankranti and
Pongal and said these festivals bind the communities in a bond
of love and affection.
"May these festivals bind the communities and regions of
India in a bond of love and affection and inspire us to work
for the unity and progress of our country," Patil said in a
Ansari said that these festivals reflected the country`s
glorious cultural traditions and promote the values of
sharing, generosity and goodwill among the people.
Extending his greetings, Singh said these traditional
harvest festivals signify renewal and provide an occasion to
acknowledge the immense contribution of country`s farmers to
the well-being of the people.
"May these festivals usher in happiness and prosperity
for all," the Prime Minister said.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari also greeted the people of
India and NRIs abroad on the occasion.
"Nitin Gadkari has sent his warm greetings and best
wishes to the people of India and NRIs abroad on the
auspicious occasion of Lohari, Makar Sakranti, Pongal and
Bihu," BJP said in a statement.
Gadkari said these festivals of joy, heralding the
harvesting season, have a special significance in "our social
and cultural lives".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs