Prez, V-P, PM greet people on Makar Sankranti, Pongal
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil, Vice
President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday
greeted the people on the occasion of Makar Sankranti and
Pongal and said these festivals bind the communities in a bond
of love and affection.
"May these festivals bind the communities and regions of
India in a bond of love and affection and inspire us to work
for the unity and progress of our country," Patil said in a
Ansari said that these festivals reflected the country`s
glorious cultural traditions and promote the values of
sharing, generosity and goodwill among the people.
Extending his greetings, Singh said these traditional
harvest festivals signify renewal and provide an occasion to
acknowledge the immense contribution of country`s farmers to
the well-being of the people.
"May these festivals usher in happiness and prosperity
for all," the Prime Minister said.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari also greeted the people of
India and NRIs abroad on the occasion.
"Nitin Gadkari has sent his warm greetings and best
wishes to the people of India and NRIs abroad on the
auspicious occasion of Lohari, Makar Sakranti, Pongal and
Bihu," BJP said in a statement.
Gadkari said these festivals of joy, heralding the
harvesting season, have a special significance in "our social
and cultural lives".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference