`Prez will be seniormost person, acceptable to all`
New Delhi: Amid intense speculation over Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as the UPA`s Presidential nominee, NCP on Tuesday said the next President will be a seniormost person who is acceptable to all.
"India`s President will be acceptable to all. He will be a seniormost person, who will be congratulated by the entire country," NCP General Secretary DP Tripathi told reporters here to a volley of questions on the Presidential polls.
He said the UPA constituents will meet soon after the Election Commission announces the schedule of the Presidential polls to decide on their nominee for the country`s top Constitutional post.
To questions whether the NCP will accept the UPA candidate, Tripathi said the candidate will be a nominee of the UPA. "We will be a party to the UPA decision. Why do you want to separate the NCP from the UPA?" he said.
On NCP leader P A Sangma`s candidature in the Presidential polls, Tripathi said the NCP was a part of the UPA and cannot talk of any other candidate.
Tripathi said he did not find anything wrong in the intense speculation over the possible Presidential candidates.
"In a democracy, you cannot stop people from talking," he said.
To a question, he said that it was the prerogative of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to decide on his Council of Ministers.
"Dr Manmohan Singh will decide who will be getting which ministry. We have no doubt in his competence or ability to do so," Tripathi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17