Price rise fallout of neo liberal policies: CPI (M)
Kozhikode: Observing that the `unprecedented`
price rise has eroded livelihood of millions of people, CPI
(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat today said the phenomenon was direct fallout of the `neo-liberal` policies pursued by the Centre over the last two decades.
The genesis of steep hike in prices of essential goods lies
not in natural calamities but in the liberal policies of the
Congress-led government at the Centre which led to costly
imports and reduced prices for farm produce driving many a
farmer to withdraw from cultivation, he said.
Expressing concern over steep hike in sugar price,Karat said
some sugar mills in India had registered 2,500 per cent growth
in profit while sugarcane growers were forced to withdraw due
to poor prices for their produce.
``The Congress Government, which has thrown the economy to
the market forces, has not come out with effective steps to
hold the price line,`` he said, inaugurating a seminar on `EMS
and Kerala Development` hosted as part of the valedictory
function of the year long birth centenary celebrations of the
late Marxist leader E M S Namhoodiripad.
As the country is projected to achieve eight to nine per
cent growth rate, the number of unemployed has risen and such a growth rate which does not guarantee income and social
security went against tenets of sustainable growth, he said.
"The Centre is now exploring possibilities of weakening
Public Sector units by going in for disinvestment proposals
and bring in private sector through backdoor," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened