Prima facie Kejriwal violated Model Code: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Thursday said prima facie AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal violated the Model Code of Conduct by not seeking prior police permission before holding his road show in Gujarat yesterday.
Election Commissioner HS Brahma said strictly going by the law, Kejriwal "violated" the Model Code.
He said the whole country knew that the election schedule has been announced yesterday in the morning and the Model Code was enforced.
He said according to the Deputy Commissioner`s report, police had stopped him to find out whether he has taken prior permission before holding his road show.
"He was not detained. Since election dates were announced, we just wanted to make sure that he followed the Model Code of Conduct and takes due permission. Thus, we took him to police station to brief him about the same," Superintendent of Police, Patan, Parikshita Rathod had said.
News of Kejriwal`s detention led to clashes between AAP and BJP workers in the national capital and in Lucknow and Ahmedabad.
Kejriwal`s car was attacked in Kharohi village of Gujarat and its windshield was damaged, which resulted in a scuffle between BJP workers and those in Kejriwal`s convoy.
Brahma said the EC would ensure that such incidents don`t recur.
"We will implement the law strictly. We appeal to political parties not to use harsh language and action," the EC said.
Brahma yesterday urged campaigners of political parties and other leaders to refrain from making personal comments.
"We would appeal to all the political parties, their star campaigners and other leaders that they should not use words which will hurt somebody. They should avoid using such comments," Brahma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!