Prima facie Kejriwal violated Model Code: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Thursday said prima facie AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal violated the Model Code of Conduct by not seeking prior police permission before holding his road show in Gujarat yesterday.
Election Commissioner HS Brahma said strictly going by the law, Kejriwal "violated" the Model Code.
He said the whole country knew that the election schedule has been announced yesterday in the morning and the Model Code was enforced.
He said according to the Deputy Commissioner`s report, police had stopped him to find out whether he has taken prior permission before holding his road show.
"He was not detained. Since election dates were announced, we just wanted to make sure that he followed the Model Code of Conduct and takes due permission. Thus, we took him to police station to brief him about the same," Superintendent of Police, Patan, Parikshita Rathod had said.
News of Kejriwal`s detention led to clashes between AAP and BJP workers in the national capital and in Lucknow and Ahmedabad.
Kejriwal`s car was attacked in Kharohi village of Gujarat and its windshield was damaged, which resulted in a scuffle between BJP workers and those in Kejriwal`s convoy.
Brahma said the EC would ensure that such incidents don`t recur.
"We will implement the law strictly. We appeal to political parties not to use harsh language and action," the EC said.
Brahma yesterday urged campaigners of political parties and other leaders to refrain from making personal comments.
"We would appeal to all the political parties, their star campaigners and other leaders that they should not use words which will hurt somebody. They should avoid using such comments," Brahma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list