Priority is complete rollback of fare hike: Sudip
New Delhi: Indicating that the exit of
Dinesh Trivedi as Railway Minister was a matter of time,
Trinamool Congress on Thursday said its priority was to ensure a
"complete rollback" of the fare hike announced in the rail
"Our priority is complete rollback of the hike. How the
government does it, only they have to decide. They can do it
after the discussion on the rail budget or before that. It is
only the government which will have to decide," party leader
Sudip Bandopadhyay told reporters here.
To question on the replacement of Trivedi by Mukul Roy as
sought by Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee in a letter to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, Bandopadhyay said, "It is a closed
chapter," indicating that the issue had been clinched.
Asked whether they would wait till the debate on the rail
budget was over and a rollback announced, he said, "I only
hope that the rollback will be announced by a new (Railway)
Minister... Wait for the discussion (on rail budget) to take
Noting that the debate on rail budget was slated today,
Bandopadhyay said, "Now it will only be next week. It has been
deferred. This shows the government is also taking its time."
He said Congress has "also agreed to the principle that
in a coalition, the parties send names of those who are to be
inducted into the Council of Ministers or change the names".
Bandopadhyay was replying to questions after a meeting of
party MPs here. The meeting came after he held consultations
with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on the issue in the Lok
Sabha on the sidelines of debate on the President`s address.
The Trinamool leader went to Mukherjee`s seat apparently
to discuss the Trivedi issue. The Finance Minister was seen
telling him something and Bandopadhyay grabbed a notepad and
took down the points.
Soon thereafter, Bandopadhyay and other party members -
including Mukul Roy, whom Mamata Banerjee has named as the
replacement for Trivedi as Railway Minister - left the House.
Mukherjee also left within a few seconds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader