Prisoner`s death: NHRC notice to Tihar administration
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Wednesday issued notice to the Tihar Jail administration over an undertrial`s death while cleaning a sewer in the prison premises.
According to an NHRC statement, the rights panel issued the notice after taking suo-motu cognisance of a media report that the undertrial prisoner Bittoo (40) died of suffocation while cleaning a sewer in Tihar Jail No 1.
He was lodged in the jail since September 28, 2012 in connection with a theft case.
The inmate, along with four others, had reportedly entered the sewer without helmet and other safety equipments. While the four others were rescued, Bittoo died of suffocation on the spot on May 15. The incident came to light almost three weeks later when media highlighted it, the statement said.
Issuing notice to Director General (Prison), Delhi, the Commission has called for a report in the matter within four weeks.
The DG was also directed to inform the Commission whether the inmates of the jail, in general, were asked to undertake risky jobs, such as, cleaning of sewer, and if not, the name of the official, who deputed the inmates to clean the sewer line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA