Prisoner`s death: NHRC notice to Tihar administration
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Wednesday issued notice to the Tihar Jail administration over an undertrial`s death while cleaning a sewer in the prison premises.
According to an NHRC statement, the rights panel issued the notice after taking suo-motu cognisance of a media report that the undertrial prisoner Bittoo (40) died of suffocation while cleaning a sewer in Tihar Jail No 1.
He was lodged in the jail since September 28, 2012 in connection with a theft case.
The inmate, along with four others, had reportedly entered the sewer without helmet and other safety equipments. While the four others were rescued, Bittoo died of suffocation on the spot on May 15. The incident came to light almost three weeks later when media highlighted it, the statement said.
Issuing notice to Director General (Prison), Delhi, the Commission has called for a report in the matter within four weeks.
The DG was also directed to inform the Commission whether the inmates of the jail, in general, were asked to undertake risky jobs, such as, cleaning of sewer, and if not, the name of the official, who deputed the inmates to clean the sewer line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them