Prisoner`s death: NHRC notice to Tihar administration
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Wednesday issued notice to the Tihar Jail administration over an undertrial`s death while cleaning a sewer in the prison premises.
According to an NHRC statement, the rights panel issued the notice after taking suo-motu cognisance of a media report that the undertrial prisoner Bittoo (40) died of suffocation while cleaning a sewer in Tihar Jail No 1.
He was lodged in the jail since September 28, 2012 in connection with a theft case.
The inmate, along with four others, had reportedly entered the sewer without helmet and other safety equipments. While the four others were rescued, Bittoo died of suffocation on the spot on May 15. The incident came to light almost three weeks later when media highlighted it, the statement said.
Issuing notice to Director General (Prison), Delhi, the Commission has called for a report in the matter within four weeks.
The DG was also directed to inform the Commission whether the inmates of the jail, in general, were asked to undertake risky jobs, such as, cleaning of sewer, and if not, the name of the official, who deputed the inmates to clean the sewer line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE
- Roger Federer pulls out of Rio Olympics following ongoing knee trouble
- Super 30 founder wants 'level playing field' for marginalised students at IIT entrance
- SHAME! Son of Jadavpur University's professor touched girl students without consent, objectified them filthily?