Priyadarshini case: Mattoo`s father dismayed, CBI satisfied
New Delhi: Father of Delhi University law
student Priyadarshini Mattoo, who was raped and then killed by
Santosh Kumar Singh nearly 14 years ago, Wednesday expressed
dissatisfaction over the commuting of the death penalty to
"I am not satisfied with the sentence. This can be
discussed only by the legal experts as it is quite evident
that even the Supreme Court has upheld the verdict of the
Delhi High Court," Chaman Lal Mattoo said.
The CBI counsel, however, hailed the outcome of the
14-year-old-case saying, "the probe agency is satisfied as the
verdict of the Delhi High Court has been upheld."
Observing that the high and mighty convicts manage to
come out early despite being sentenced to life term, the
victim`s father said, "It is not clear as to what would be the
duration of the imprisonment."
There have been various instances where the convicts
have managed to come out, he said, adding, "This is the
danger. The case has not met the right treatment by the apex
He expressed gratitude to the civil society for its
support in fighting the cause of justice.
Mattoo`s lawyer Ashok Bhan said that he would file a
review or curative petition seeking enhancement of the
punishment after going through the verdict.
"He was not an ordinary criminal and, therefore, it
(case) was the rarest of rare category," he said.
Bhan also termed the judgement as a "setback" to
A Supreme Court Bench of Justices HS Bedi and CK
Prasad upheld the conviction of Santosh Kumar Singh, son of a
former IPS officer, in the case but reduced his death sentence
to life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation