Pro-Telangana activists indulge in violence on day 2 of bandh
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana activists today
damaged vehicles and RTC buses in Hyderabad on the second day
of the bandh called to protest the death of MCA student K
Venugopal Reddy, who allegedly committed suicide for the cause
of separate Telangana on Tuesday.
The call for the bandh, which also protested police baton
charge on students in Osmania University yesterday, was given
by the Osmania University Students Joint Action Committee
(OUJAC) and Telangana-JAC and was observed partially in the
districts of Telangana region.
Over 51,000 activists of different political parties,
students and others participated in agitational programmes at
522 places, even as police took 241 people including 134
students into custody for indulging in violence.
A total of nine dharnas, 62 road blockades and 142 relay
fasts besides 30 rallies were organised across the Telangana
In Hyderabad, pro-Telangana protesters damaged window
panes of 16 Road Transport Corporation (RTC) buses while in
Cyberabad, agitators damaged two vehicles besides damaging
panes of 14 RTC buses.
In Medak district, agitators damaged furnitures at the
APSRTC office and at a milk storage plant at Narayanakhed
town. Similar scenes were witnessed at a public school at
Kamareddy in Nizamabad district.
In Karimnagar district, protesters set fire to a car,
while in Nalgonda district agitators damaged glasses of a
theatre at Kodad. Though, RTC buses plied normally while
educational institutions declared a holiday at several places,
the Director General of Police said in a release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured