Pro-Telangana protesters barge into secretariat, 50 held
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana supporters Saturday tried to barge into the state secretariat, demanding the central government immediately initiate the process of forming a separate state.
About 50 activists of the Progressive Democratic Students Union (PDSU) were arrested when they tried to barge into the high-security area.
Raising slogans of "Jai Telangana", the protesters gathered outside the secretariat in violation of the prohibitory orders and squatted at its main gate.
The protesters then tried to barge into the secretariat and police had a tough time in controlling them. The activists were baton-charged and taken into custody.
Earlier, PDSU president Ashok Kumar told reporters that the central government should immediately initiate the process for carving out Telangana state. He alleged that the government was adopting delaying tactics on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters