Probe `atrocities` on Sri Lankan Tamils: Sonia
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday denounced the "unspeakable atrocities" committed on Tamils in Sri Lanka and sought an independent and credible probe into rights abuses there.
"The plight of Sri Lankan Tamils is very close to our hearts," she told Congress MPs at a meeting in Parliament house here.
"We are anguished by the reports of unspeakable atrocities on innocent civilians and children, especially during the last days of the conflict in 2009.
"That is why we demand an independent and credible inquiry into the violation of human rights in Sri Lanka," she added.
"Our support for their (Tamil) equal rights and equal protection ... has been unwavering since the days of Indiraji and Rajivji.
"We are most pained at the manner in which their legitimate political rights continue to be denied to them," said Gandhi.
Talking about Indian fishermen detained or fired at by the Sri Lankan Navy, Gandhi said it was a matter of grave concern.
"A permanent solution to the daily violence against them is also imperative," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read