Probe companies owned by Mayawati`s brother: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday demanded a thorough probe into alleged dubious financial transactions by companies allegedly owned by BSP chief Mayawati`s brother and questioned government`s intentions on the issue in view of the support extended to it by her party.
"BJP demands that action be taken against companies owned by Mayawati`s brother," BJP Spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said in the wake of allegations of questionable financial transaction worth crores of rupees against companies allegedly owned by Mayawati`s brother Anand Kumar.
"It was suggested that his relationship with the Chief Minister was being unfairly and illegally exploited," said Sitharaman.
"We reiterate that it is a major case of corruption which we see here that the brother of Mayawati running apparently 76-odd companies, most of which have no activities to claim," she alleged.
She claimed that the central probe agencies were not initiating action against Mayawati`s brother as the BSP has supported the present UPA government and asked, "Is there something that is stopping the Congress government from taking action against an alliance partner`s chief`s brother?"
Demanding an answer from the government on the issue, she sought to know if Income Tax notices will be served on these companies and if investigations by Enforcement Directorate be conducted to explain the cash transactions and ascertain what services were provided by them for such huge payments.
"Will the Finance ministry make sure that the department of Income Tax serves notices against these companies or is the alliance being kept alive," said Sitharaman.
Sitharaman accused the government of "misusing" the CBI and other agencies against its political opponents and said BSP is a strong ally of the Congress-led UPA government.
"We know the position of BSP when the debate on FDI in multi-brand retail took place.... The methodology adopted to salvage this government is more than seen by the people of India. But will the government now tell us as to why action is not seen in getting the answer from these companies. Will the Corporate Affairs ministry search and seal documents of these companies," she said.
Sitharaman said Kumar`s relationship with the chief minister was being "unfairly and illegally exploited", saying, "A Vadra-style copy book practice of receiving advances for unspecified services from third parties is followed by a loss making company owned by Kumar."
She also claimed that these allegations were levelled by BJP in 2011 when a dossier was also handed over to the government during the Uttar pradesh assembly polls but no action has so far been taken.
She, however, parried questions on why BJP raised the issue now when Income Tax authorities were initiating searches and action against companies owned by its former President Nitin Gadkari`s Purti group and merely said there is no link between the two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day