Probe into cash-for-vote should be impartial: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday said the
cash-for-vote scam is being finally investigated after three
years due to the Supreme Court`s intervention and demanded an
impartial probe into it, warning the government against acting
as the "murderer, munsif and witness" in the case.
"After three years the cash-for-vote scam is being
finally investigated. But the government cannot be the
murderer, munsif (magistrate) and witness all rolled into
one... The government should not be allowed to make attempts
to cover-up the case and strict action should be taken against
the guilty," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
He insisted that the probe outcome till now has
vindicated BJP`s stand on the floor of Parliament that MPs
were sold and bought. "This has been exposed now," he said.
However, the party maintained that it could not trust
any investigation carried out under the Congress.
"We dismiss any probe done under the Congress
government.... Only a probe monitored by the Supreme Court is
bearing results. The people are also monitoring this case,"
Suhail Hindustani, once close to the BJP, was
interrogated by Delhi police earlier this week for his role in
the cash-for-vote scam in which three BJP MPs were allegedly
offered money to vote for UPA-I during the July, 2008 trust
vote. He has now been sent to jail.
The Supreme Court had pulled up Delhi police for the
slow pace of investigations into the matter. Soon thereafter
Sanjiv Saxena, said to be a close associate of former SP
leader Amar Singh, was arrested in the case. Hindustani was
the next one to be arrested.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata