Procedural wrangles over voting in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Procedural wrangles over voting for taking up a discussion on the alleged interference of the government in preparing CBI report on the coalgate scam led to a brief adjournment in the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
The treasury benches stoutly opposed a move to take up the voting by suspending the Question Hour even as Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley demanded a suo motu statement from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar on the issue.
The BJP has been demanding resignation of the Law Minister over allegations of interference in CBI`s probe into coal blocks issue.
When the House met after the first adjournment, Chairman Hamid Ansari asked V Maitreyan (AIADMK) to move his motion for suspending Question Hour to discuss the role of CBI in the alleged coal scam.
As a voice vote on whether to take up the motion failed to clear the air, Opposition demanded division.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said the government was not averse to any discussion and the issue could be taken up at later in the day.
However, Opposition members including those from the BJP and Left parties said since Maitreyan has moved the motion, the debate should be taken up right away.
The Chairman too suggested that the issue could be discussed after the other scheduled debates. He also said that division could only take place if there is order in the House.
The arguments continued even as Question Hour ended at noon.
Amid din, some members belonging to BJP and AIADMK trooped into the Well.
PJ Kurien, who was then in the Chair, adjourned the House for half an hour as opposition members shouted slogans like `sarkar bhag gayee` (government has run away from discussion).
Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) utilised the occasion to target the government over "leakage" of the draft report of the JPC on the 2G scam.
To this, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said that not only leakage of JPC report, but reports of PAC and CAG too should be discussed in the House.
Jaitley said if the government wants to bring a motion against the institution of CAG, it should bring one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks