Procedures in place to check defence deal irregularities: Antony
New Delhi: Well defined procedures are in place to check irregularities in defence deals and no ministry official has been found guilty of corruption, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Wednesday.
In a written reply in the Rajya Sabha, Antony said there have been allegations of irregularities in certain defence procurements like VVIP helicopters for the Air Force, reconnaissance and surveillance helicopters for the Army, Tatra trucks for the Army and award of contract by Ordnance Factory Board, Kolkata.
The minister said whenever such allegations surface, they are examined and wherever necessary, the case is referred to the appropriate agency for further investigation and suitable action is taken against those found guilty.
He, however, said: "No official of the ministry has been found guilty during the said period."
"Well defined procedures with adequate checks and balances are prescribed in defence procurement procedures for capital procurement and in defence procurement manual for revenue procurement," he said.
He added that the existing procedures include various provisions such as collegiate approvals at different stages, the oversight mechanism, standard clauses of contract, signing of pre-contract integrity pact, to ensure the process conforms to the highest standards of transparency, probity and public accountability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final