`Process for handling of Aadhar files streamlined`
New Delhi: The process for handling of files
related to the `Aadhar` unique identification project by the
Planning Commission has been streamlined in consultation with
the Finance Ministry, Parliament was informed on Wednesday.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State
for Planning Ashwani Kumar said the plan panel had taken up
the issue of streamlining of processes for handling of files
from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) --
which oversees the smart ID card project -- in the Planning
Commission with the Department of Expenditure.
The UIDAI is an attached office of the Planning
"The Planning Commission had also pointed out that the
financial adviser in the UIDAI has been assigned several
administrative responsibilities along with her function as
financial adviser," Kumar said.
He added that the Plan panel had indicated that such an
arrangement would take away the benefit of an independent
scrutiny of proposals involving the use of public funds by an
"arm`s length" financial adviser.
"These matters have been resolved and processes have been
streamlined as per the existing government procedures," Kumar
The minister said that an expenditure of Rs 3,170.32
crore has been approved under the first two phases of the
UIDAI`s `Aadhaar` unique identification card scheme by the
Expenditure Finance Committee.
The second phase of the project is slated to conclude
this fiscal and the third phase will start from 2012-13.
"The Expenditure Finance Committee has recommended Rs
8,814.75 crore for Phase-III... The proposal would be brought
before the Cabinet Committee on UIDAI in due course," Kumar
In reply to another question in the Lok Sabha, the
minister said enrollment under the UIDAI is on track as per
targets and 6.73 crore Aadhaar numbers were generated till
"At present, the UIDAI has set the target of 60 crore
enrollments by 2014, out of which 20 crore enrollments are
expected to be completed by March, 2012," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi