Process to choose new CVC begins
New Delhi: Government has initiated the process of choosing a new Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) to succeed PJ Thomas, who had to make an unceremonious exit after questions were raised over his impeccability.
In this connection, the Department of Training and Personnel is understood to have submitted to the selection panel a list of 28 probable candidates for the top post.
The list is likely to be pruned further and brought down to three names, as per the norms. The selection panel, comprising the Prime Minister, Home Minister and Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, will then choose one candidate, preferably by consensus.
Sources said a meeting of the selection panel is likely to be held next week and a convenient time, when all the three members of the panel are available, is being looked into.
Meanwhile, Home Secretary GK Pillai, who was one of the front-runners for the post, today said he had formally conveyed to DoPT that he was not available for the post of CVC.
"I am not aware of whether I am on the list (of probables) for CVC. But I had conveyed to Secretary, DoPT that I am not available for the post," Pillai said.
Pillai was said to be one of the top probables for the post ever since the Supreme court struck down Thomas`s appointment.
The Home Secretary, who is retiring on June 30, said he had informed DoPT Secretary, Alka Sirohi on the phone that he is not available for the post. Interestingly, Sirohi herself is said to be a part of the list of 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof