Process to sort out outstanding issues relating to nuke pact to be taken forward: Japan
New Delhi: Japan on Wednesday assured India that the process of negotiations towards resolution of all outstanding issues in finalising the civil nuclear cooperation agreement will be taken forward and sought further broadening of economic ties between the two countries.
Earlier this month, both sides had resumed their negotiations on the issue at a meeting in Tokyo after a gap of nearly three years and agreed to "intensify" the negotiations for the pact which will pave the way for export of nuclear reactors and technology to energy-starved India.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had, at a meeting with Prime Minister`s Special Envoy Ashwani Kumar in Tokyo, said the process of negotiations will be taken forward in firming up the pact.
Referring to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Japan in May 2013, Abe said keeping up the momentum of bilateral exchanges would be important for taking forward the India-Japan partnership to even greater heights.
He also called for bilateral economic engagement to be further intensified to add value to the strategic and global partnership. In the meeting, both sides also pledged to further deepen their strategic and global partnership.
Referring to the forthcoming visit of Japan`s Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko to India later this year, Kumar said India would be privileged to welcome the Majesties. It would be the first ever visit by the Japanese Emperor and Empress to India.
Kumar also reiterated the invitation extended to Prime Minister Abe to visit India for the annual summit, the MEA said here.
He said the summit between the two Prime Ministers would help not only consolidate the India-Japan strategic partnership but also expand bilateral cooperation and signal the shared determination of the two countries to work for peace, progress and prosperity in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly