‘Procurement of radars by BEL being examined’
New Delhi: Defence Ministry is examining the issue of defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) procuring radars from foreign sources instead of developing them indigenously, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
The matter was first raised by the CAG in its report tabled in August this year which states that BEL was given an order of Rs 870 crore for 22 surveillance radars but instead of producing them indigenously, the company used 60 per cent of imported content to make them.
"The issue raised is under examination in the department. The decision taken will be placed before the Parliament," Defence Minister AK Antony said in reply to a written House query.
BEL is the major supplier of radars and other surveillance equipment to the Indian armed forces which include the indigenously-developed INDRA radar.
Answering another query, the Minister said Indian Coast Guard has apprehended 338 foreign fishing vessels and 2,271 crew members on them in the last three years.
In reply to another query, Antony said Government has approved the expansion of BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthpuram Limited (BATL) for establishing an integration complex on land owned by the IAF there.
"The necessary funding has been provided and construction will start after land is made available to the IAF for building houses for airmen," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati
- New compound may help fight epilepsy
- 'Jethalal' promotes Varun Dhawan starrer 'Dishoom' by flaunting his unique swag! Watch video
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration