Procurement of Tatra trucks on hold: Army Chief
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Wednesday said procurement of Tatra trucks has been put on hold in view of the ongoing CBI inquiry into allegations of corruption against the company.
"The point is that a decision (to buy or not to buy Tatra trucks) has to be taken based on CBI inquiry. It is on hold. A CBI inquiry is on in the case and we need to wait for that to get over before we take any decisions," he said.
Gen Singh was asked if the Army would go ahead with the procurement of Tatra trucks for putting its Pinaka and other heavy rockets and missiles.
The CBI is investigating the Tatra truck deal after former Army Chief Gen V K SIngh alleged that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by a retired officer to clear the procurement of 600 more Tatra trucks for the Army.
Asked about the alleged delay by the Army in deploying troops during the Assam violence, Gen Singh said the force was given permission by the Defence Ministry to move in on August 24 and it did so that very evening.
He said the Army was supposed to take clearance before moving in aid to civil authorities in a situation with communal and ethnic overtones as "we would not like to get involved in such things without Government permission".
He said there was no change in the Standard Operating Procedures of the force in this regard.
Asked about his views on the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), he said the force has conveyed its opinion on the issue to the Government.
"It is for the Government to take a decision on it. We only give our assessment to the Government," the Army Chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced