Procurement of Tatra trucks on hold: Army Chief
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Wednesday said procurement of Tatra trucks has been put on hold in view of the ongoing CBI inquiry into allegations of corruption against the company.
"The point is that a decision (to buy or not to buy Tatra trucks) has to be taken based on CBI inquiry. It is on hold. A CBI inquiry is on in the case and we need to wait for that to get over before we take any decisions," he said.
Gen Singh was asked if the Army would go ahead with the procurement of Tatra trucks for putting its Pinaka and other heavy rockets and missiles.
The CBI is investigating the Tatra truck deal after former Army Chief Gen V K SIngh alleged that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by a retired officer to clear the procurement of 600 more Tatra trucks for the Army.
Asked about the alleged delay by the Army in deploying troops during the Assam violence, Gen Singh said the force was given permission by the Defence Ministry to move in on August 24 and it did so that very evening.
He said the Army was supposed to take clearance before moving in aid to civil authorities in a situation with communal and ethnic overtones as "we would not like to get involved in such things without Government permission".
He said there was no change in the Standard Operating Procedures of the force in this regard.
Asked about his views on the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), he said the force has conveyed its opinion on the issue to the Government.
"It is for the Government to take a decision on it. We only give our assessment to the Government," the Army Chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!