Produce GCM documents of Samba spy case, Tribunal to Army
New Delhi: The Armed Forces Tribunal Monday asked the Army to produce court martial documents of
five soldiers punished for their involvement in the over
30-year-old sensational Samba spy case.
In the case, around 50 personnel of 168 Brigade
deployed along the Line of Control were punished after being
accused of spying for Pakistan on the basis of statements of
former gunners Sarwan Dass and Aya Singh.
The Tribunal Bench headed by Justice S S Kulshreshtha
asked the Army to produce the general court martial (GCM)
documents of gunners Banarasi Das, Milkhi Ram, Satpal, Harish
Singh and Balkar Singh, who have served jail terms, before it
by June 30.
The appeals of the soldiers who are seeking to get
their names cleared were among the cases transferred from the
High Court to the Tribunal after it was launched in August
The Tribunal said failure to produce the documents
would draw an "adverse inference" about Army`s contention in
"This is the first time in over 30 years since the
case came up that we would get to see the court martial
documents. I am hopeful that this will make it easier for us
to get justice," counsel for the five gunners Deepak
In the case of two other accused Captain A K Rana and
Captain R S Rathore, whose pleas are still pending in the
Supreme Court, the Tribunal said it would hear their case on
Rana said that he and Captain Rathore were cleared by
the Delhi High Court in 2000, but the verdict was challenged
by the Army in the Supreme Court.
After the HC verdict, they filed pleas seeking
compensation for the jail term served by them which have also
been transferred to the Tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India