Professionals to help strengthen govt cultural organisations
New Delhi: In a bid to strengthen cultural
institutions under its control, the Government on Tuesday approved
a proposal to fill up gaps in the organisational structure of
such bodies with professionals who will help in their
upgrading and modernisation.
The decision to fill up the gaps was taken at a
meeting of the Union Cabinet here. This will help the Heads of
the Organisations and their teams to work together to upgrade
and modernise these institutions.
The step will also bring in the best international
practices such as digitisation of the records in institutions
like the National Library and the National Archives.
The knowledge and expertise of these professionals will
help these organisations achieve parity with their
For the purpose of achieving these goals, it is necessary
to create suitable posts of professionals in Archaeological
Survey of India (ASI), National Archives and National Library
equivalent to professors in the university system.
The move comes against the backdrop of the Ministry of
Culture striving to restructure and strengthen the cultural
organisations under its administrative control.
In another decision, the Cabinet approved a proposal for
taking over Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU),
Shibpur, and converting it to Indian Institute of Engineering
Science and Technology with a total five years` project cost
of Rs 592.20 crore.
BESU will be converted to IIEST by suitably amending
the NIT Act with special clauses.
The Government had constituted an Expert Committee in
2005 to evaluate and suggest a plan of action for upgrading
seven institutes, including BESU, which had earlier been
identified by the S K Joshi committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers