Promotion quota bill: Samajwadi Party warns govt
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party on Tuesday warned the government against the bill on quota in promotion for SC/STs passed by "strong arm tactics" in Rajya Sabha, saying it will be a misuse of majority.
SP leader Ramgopal Yadav said he has heard from other parties that the government was trying to ensure passage of bill after naming the party MPs and getting them out of the House.
People will not forgive the Congress-led coalition, if it tries to suspend party members in Rajya Sabha to get the measure approved, Yadav told a news agency.
Even if the bill gets passed in the Upper House, the party will oppose it "tooth and nail" in the Lok Sabha where it has crucial 22 members.
Yadav said there were possibilities that the Supreme Court would once again strike down the provision on consequential promotion as it did the last time.
The quota bill has been caught in the politics of Uttar Pradesh with BSP, another key outside supporter of the government like SP, making a strong pitch for its urgent passage while the Mulayam Singh Yadav`s party opposing it.
SP members created uproar in Rajya Sabha today protesting against any move to consider the bill, which requires a Constitutional amendment.
The House had to be adjourned repeatedly as they kept chanting slogans against any such measure. The bill providing for reservation to SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs was listed in the day`s business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside