Propagate Swami Vivekananda`s teachings across globe: Pranab
New Delhi: Swami Vivekananda`s teachings, including people`s social responsibility towards all to educate the poor, need to be spread across the globe, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday.
Inaugurating a function in connection with the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in Rashtrapati Bhavan here, the President recalled for Vivekananda`s teachings and said they need to be spread across India and the world with a full realisation of the powerful impact they have on the people of India.
The President quoted A L Basham, the renowned British historian, and said about Swami Vivekananda "in centuries to come, he will be remembered as one of the main moulders of the modern world".
He also pointed out that Swami Vivekananda had a deep commitment to the poor.
Swamiji said about the social responsibility of educated people that `so long as the millions live in hunger and ignorance, I hold every man a traitor who, having been educated at their expense, pays not the least heed to them`, an official release quoted Mukherjee as saying.
The President said the teachings of Swamiji stand true not only to the time he lived in but also to the present-day India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview