Propagate Swami Vivekananda`s teachings across globe: Pranab
New Delhi: Swami Vivekananda`s teachings, including people`s social responsibility towards all to educate the poor, need to be spread across the globe, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday.
Inaugurating a function in connection with the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in Rashtrapati Bhavan here, the President recalled for Vivekananda`s teachings and said they need to be spread across India and the world with a full realisation of the powerful impact they have on the people of India.
The President quoted A L Basham, the renowned British historian, and said about Swami Vivekananda "in centuries to come, he will be remembered as one of the main moulders of the modern world".
He also pointed out that Swami Vivekananda had a deep commitment to the poor.
Swamiji said about the social responsibility of educated people that `so long as the millions live in hunger and ignorance, I hold every man a traitor who, having been educated at their expense, pays not the least heed to them`, an official release quoted Mukherjee as saying.
The President said the teachings of Swamiji stand true not only to the time he lived in but also to the present-day India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India