Propagate Swami Vivekananda`s teachings across globe: Pranab
New Delhi: Swami Vivekananda`s teachings, including people`s social responsibility towards all to educate the poor, need to be spread across the globe, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday.
Inaugurating a function in connection with the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in Rashtrapati Bhavan here, the President recalled for Vivekananda`s teachings and said they need to be spread across India and the world with a full realisation of the powerful impact they have on the people of India.
The President quoted A L Basham, the renowned British historian, and said about Swami Vivekananda "in centuries to come, he will be remembered as one of the main moulders of the modern world".
He also pointed out that Swami Vivekananda had a deep commitment to the poor.
Swamiji said about the social responsibility of educated people that `so long as the millions live in hunger and ignorance, I hold every man a traitor who, having been educated at their expense, pays not the least heed to them`, an official release quoted Mukherjee as saying.
The President said the teachings of Swamiji stand true not only to the time he lived in but also to the present-day India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional