Propagate Swami Vivekananda`s teachings across globe: Pranab
New Delhi: Swami Vivekananda`s teachings, including people`s social responsibility towards all to educate the poor, need to be spread across the globe, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday.
Inaugurating a function in connection with the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in Rashtrapati Bhavan here, the President recalled for Vivekananda`s teachings and said they need to be spread across India and the world with a full realisation of the powerful impact they have on the people of India.
The President quoted A L Basham, the renowned British historian, and said about Swami Vivekananda "in centuries to come, he will be remembered as one of the main moulders of the modern world".
He also pointed out that Swami Vivekananda had a deep commitment to the poor.
Swamiji said about the social responsibility of educated people that `so long as the millions live in hunger and ignorance, I hold every man a traitor who, having been educated at their expense, pays not the least heed to them`, an official release quoted Mukherjee as saying.
The President said the teachings of Swamiji stand true not only to the time he lived in but also to the present-day India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened