Proposal to give more power to NCW hits legal hurdle
New Delhi: A proposal of the Women and Child Development Ministry to give greater powers to the National Commission of Women has faced legal hurdles as the Law Ministry has raised queries on the move.
Sources in the government said the Law Ministry has flagged certain issues relating to proposed power which are likely to be communicated to the Women and Child Development Ministry shortly.
If the WCD Ministry is able to satisfy the queries, the proposal will reach the Union Cabinet for a final call next week.
The WCD Ministry wants to give NCW powers on par with National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) to effectively deal with cases of violence and harassment of women.
As per the proposal, ignoring summons of NCW may land the offenders in jail.
As per the proposal, NCW would be given exactly the same rights as NHRC. The WCD Ministry has also proposed appointment of judge or lawyer as chief of NCW instead of current practice of political appointees heading it.
The WCD Ministry wants NCW to be an effective body so that it can recommend jail and refer cases to court.
Other amendments also include that services of police officer not below the rank of a DGP must be provided to the commission.
The WCD Ministry has also proposed that the commission should have the power to seize documents relating to investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly