Proposed IIM council will be only a coordinating body: Govt
New Delhi: Amid controversy over the government`s move to bring IIMs under an umbrella body, the HRD Ministry on Wednesday said the proposed IIM council will be only a "coordinating" unit which will not have powers to take any decision.
Higher Education Secretary Ashok Thakur said a final shape to the proposed legislation to bring IIMs under an umbrella body is likely to be given when HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju meets IIM directors and chairpersons at Kozhikode during the recess of budget session of Parliament.
Both the minister and the secretary were reacting to a query about the open opposition by the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM-A) to the proposed legislation.
"... This will be a coordinating body and a forum to discuss. Not like the IIT Council. IIT Council has real powers. This is a coordinating body," Thakur told reporters.
He said there had been lots of discussions on the matter and "a consensus draft has been arrived at". Only some faculty and chairman of IIM Ahmedabad had raised some objection to it.
IIM-A Governing Council chairman A M Naik had said that proposed legislation to bring IIMs under an umbrella body, would curtail its autonomy and slow down the institute`s effort to take it to the next level of globalisation.
The proposed legislation seeks to confer the IIMs the status of institutes of national importance empowering them to award degrees instead of diplomas and establishment of an IIM Council similar to the Council for the IITs and pave way for appointment of more government directors in IIMs boards.
Official sources said it was not the HRD Ministry which was trying to "thrust" the bill and it was the directors of the IIMs who wanted to push the legislation to make their PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) an internationally valid degree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what