Prosecution not to examine NSG who fought 26/11 terrorists
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 21:24
  
Mumbai: The prosecution on Thursday informed the 26/11 trial court that it did not wish to examine any of the 650 National Security Guard personnel who had fought terrorists last year as their evidence might expose techniques and methods of neutralisation.

"The techniques and method of neutralisation of terrorists activities are very secret and they cannot be exposed in any manner in public interest," Special Public Prosecution Ujjwal Nikam said in a petition to the court.

The examination of NSG commandos in the court would seriously affect the functioning of the elite force in any such terrorist attack in future, he said, adding not examining them would not be prejudicial to the accused in any manner.

Pakistani Ajmal Kasab and two Indians, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, are facing charges of killing 166 persons in the terror attacks on November 26 last. While Kasab had participated in the attacks, Faheem and Sabauddin had made maps of targets and gave them to Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives.

While Judge M L Tahaliyani had asked the prosecutor to consider examining NSG men as witnesses, Nikam opposed it.

Nikam said the terrorists who had attacked Hotels Taj, Oberoi and Nariman House were shot dead and the prosecution has already adduced sufficient evidence, including their identification, to establish they had killed innocent persons and caused damage to properties.

Bureau Report


First Published: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 21:24


comments powered by Disqus