Prospects of Bangla Land Boundary Bill bleak
New Delhi: The prospects of Land Boundary Agreement with Bangladesh getting passed during the current session of Parliament looks bleak with Trinamool Congress being adamant on opposing even its introduction in the Rajya Sabha.
After Trinamool Congress scuttled an attempt to introduce the Constitution (119th Amendment) Bill in the Rajya Sabha on August 19, the government had sought to reach out to it with the aim of bringing it around.
The bill provides for exchange of certain territories between India and Bangladesh and demarcation of the border as per the Indira-Mujib Agreement of 1974.
The government proposed to Trinamool that it should allow the bill to be introduced, after which it could be sent to the Parliamentary Standing Committee, sources told PTI.
This, the government, felt would send a signal to Bangladesh that India is serious in pursuing the issue.
The government also proposed a meeting with the three-member committee nominated by Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee on the issue but it is unlikely to take place.
Mamata had nominated MPs Mukul Roy, Sudip Bandhyopadhyay and Derek O`Brien for discussing the issue with External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.
In an effort to persuade Trinamool, which has nine members in the Upper House, the government underlined the importance of the agreement and listed a number of steps Bangladesh has taken for the benefit of India.
However, Trinamool is reluctant to give up its opposition.
"We have serious issues with this (bill) which we have expressed to the External Affairs Minister. As of now, there is no change in our stance," O`Brien told PTI when contacted on the issue.
The monsoon session of Parliament comes to an end on September 6.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know